Hair Trigger devotes three of its issues (Fall, Winter, and Spring) to work produced by Columbia students in the Creative Writing program, Photography program, and the Illustration and Design programs, and one issue (Summer) to solicited and unsolicited work in poetry, flash fiction, fiction, nonfiction, and visual art.
GUIDELINES FOR COLUMBIA COLLEGE CHICAGO STUDENTS
- Prose work only. All work must have been produced by students/alumni enrolled at Columbia anytime during Fall 2018-Fall 2019.
- Up to 3 submissions may be submitted with a maximum page length for each submission of 15 pages.
- Complete an Information Form and include with submission.
- Author names should not appear on manuscript(s), only title and page numbers (this is a blind submission process).
- Guidelines must be followed in order to be considered for publication.
- Simultaneous submissions welcome but inform us if work has been accepted or published elsewhere.
- Submit electronically to: email@example.com.
- Submission Deadline: December 13.
GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTERS OUTSIDE THE COLUMBIA COLLEGE COMMUNITY
We do not accept previously published work, unless solicited.
We accept simultaneous submissions. Please submit a maximum of two pieces for consideration per issue.
We will consider submissions up to 5,000 words in length. Flash fiction under 1,000 words is welcomed. Excerpts from longer work will also be considered, as long as the excerpt is self-contained.
Submissions must be sent as a .doc or .docx attachment. Please include your last name and a page number in the header of each page.
All files must be uploaded via Submittable. Submissions sent to Hairtrigger@colum.edu will not be considered.
- We are open to all genres and styles.
- In order to submit we ask that you provide up to 10 pieces of visual art (photos, paintings, Illustrations, etc.) in .jpeg format.
- Submit at 72 dpi and 750 pixels on the longest side.
- As with writing, please include a cover letter with your submission, designating the type of visual media, and include a short bio.
- All files must be uploaded via Submittable.
Thank you! We look forward to receiving your work.